Outreach at Home: Caring Hearts, Helping Hands
Caring Hearts, Helping Hands reaches out to serve those in need within the Bethany family.
"There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but they all come from the same Spirit.... The Spirit has given each of us a special way of serving."
I Corinthians 12:4,7
- Bethany Men Visitors
- The Bethany Men Visitors plan informal visitations to Bethany family members, especially those who have not been seen in a while. They coordinate "Smoother Movers" and other ad hoc assistance as needed. Experiences are shared in monthly two-hour mini Men's Retreats.
- Home-bound and Care Facility Visits
- Volunteers bring the church who are unable to come to church. Faithful visitation and prayer support provide companionship and encouragement and help to maintain the Bethany connection.
- Short-term Support
- Volunteers run errands, stop by with a meal, check in by phone or pay a friendly visit, and provide prayer support in times of crisis or other short-term need.
- Transportation to Church and Church Events
- Picking up a neighbor on your way to church or an evening event is sometimes all it takes to keep others actively engaged in congregational life.
- Link to Resources
- Volunteers are knowledgeable about resources in the church and the community. Working on a confidential basis if needed, they make connections with agencies and programs and provide a guiding hand, listening ear, or words of support.
- Lay Eucharistic Ministers
- Trained Lay Eucharistic Ministers (LEMs) bring Holy Communion bi-monthly to members in care facilities or who are homebound. These saints are thus connected to the worshipping community through this ministry. LEMs read scripture, share something that touched them from the day's sermon, and pray with the visitees.